Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rushsylvania

Growing up with Béla Lugosi as Dracula and Lon Chaney Jr's werewolf its hard for me not to think of Transylvania any time I find a town who's name ends in -sylvania. But there's nothing spooky about this little town. It is small, only about a half block long. For it's size I found an abundant amount of things to shoot, starting with this great mural.



They even managed to squeeze in a park complete with this 3 inch Gun from the past.



The Old Township Hall adds to the rustic feel of the place.



I had been through the town before and was planning on having lunch at Michael Angelo's Pizza. Unfortunately it was closed. In fact the only thing I found open was the Marathon Gas Station.



The town has a very nice and modern looking firehouse with a small glassed in museum in the front. On display were some fire fighting equipment from the past and a nicely restored 1884 Rumsey Hand Drawn Pumper. Due to the limited shooting space, I was unable to get a picture of the pumper.





Like a lot of small towns the railroad goes through on the edge of town where the old grain elevator sits.



I just love finding and exploring these small hometowns. Sometimes it might take a little work but you will find something if you look hard enough.

No comments:

Welcome to My Hometown Ohio

All images are copyright © 2008-2010 Russ Martin,
(unless otherwise indicated). All rights reserved.