Monday, January 11, 2010

Big Four Bridge in Winter (Sidney)



The Big Four concrete arch bridge located in Sidney Ohio, is one of the largest landmarks in the area. Simply known as the Big Four Bridge - so named after the four large railroads that ran the line (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railway's). Constructed in the 1920's it is still in use to this day. The railway is currently owned and operated by CSX Transportation.

While I played sandlot football at the base of the bridge, I never ventured upon it as a youth. My cousin and others have over the years, some of them leaving their mark with graffiti in the arches beneath the tracks.

This picture was taken just outside another landmark of sorts. I was standing at the top of the hill on Childrens Home Road at the foot of the steps of the old orphanage. The orphanage was still in operation when I was a very young lad. Now it stands deserted and abandoned.

I remember the area well because my dad would bring me here every year to watch the soapbox derby. The derby used the road that went up the hill next to the orphanage. Staring down the hill I couldn't help but imagine the cheering crowds lining the road and those Oh-So-Marvelous derby cars racing down the hill.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Children's Home brings back lots of memories. My mom and dad ran the home way back when it was still in operation. They raised 5 kids and all the other children, you talk about a crazy home.

I have to ask, while you were up on the hill did you get to sled down?

RussDaMan said...

Wow Amy I had know idea. Have you ever thought of publishing your memories of your family's involvement with the home.

By the time I was ready to leave I was too cold think of playing in the snow.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, memories about the Children's Home---not very many, I believe that I was only 2/3ish. It's just fun to say that I lived there (even though it was only for a year or so). Did you know that it use to have two smaller homes on the side of the larger one, it was connected by a walkway--those were the bedrooms, one girls and one boys. I think that my siblings would like to forget their memories about the home but you're right, maybe I'll bring it up to my older brother.

Again, a beautiful job on the photos!

RussDaMan said...

Thanks Amy,

The picture you describe can be found on your way out of the Applebees restaurant in Sidney. After all this discussion, I think I need to go back and get some pictures of the old home itself. It sure is a shame that is just a shell of what it use to be.

Welcome to My Hometown Ohio

All images are copyright © 2008-2010 Russ Martin,
(unless otherwise indicated). All rights reserved.